Utility Billing Clerk
General Definition of Work:
Performs responsible skilled clerical work coordinating utility billing activities; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Town Manager.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
Preparing and mailing utility bills; processing customer service requests and billings; preparing and maintaining appropriate records and files.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
• Processes applications for service, change requests and requests for disconnection, etc.
• Sets up new customer records and records for discontinued service; routes service calls to proper persons.
• Prepares monthly utility cycle billing for water and sewer.
• Manages monthly utility cycle on off-cycle billing for water and sewer; researches meter readings to ensure information is accurate for customer usage and for accurate calculations to meet billing schedules.
• Coordinates with the Public Works Department for utility readings, customer service orders, turn, turn offs, suspensions and other service requests.
• Maintains utility cycle billing records, backup for adjustments and other incoming correspondence for accounts.
• Participates in the collection, receipt and recording of revenues from utility bills, privilege license, and other miscellaneous bills; maintains appropriate records and files.
• Receives payments via mail, internet, and telephone; prepares cash receipt batches for daily bank deposits.
• Serves as customer service specialist handling phone calls and in person visits regarding water/sewer accounts; providing customer service and assistance.
• Collects and maintains reservations for facilities at Dobson Square Park.
• Collects complaint forms for ordinance violations.
• Prepares weekly deposits for verification by the Finance Officer.
• Performs related tasks as required.
• Occasional evening and weekend work may be required for special events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
General knowledge of utility billing terminology, methods, procedures and equipment; general knowledge of modern office machines and procedures; general knowledge of the procedures for billing and collecting utility fees; ability to operate various office machines and computer equipment with accuracy and speed; ability to meet and deal courteously with the public; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public. Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and 6 months to 2 years clerical experience.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, and determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Employee may be called upon in case of a disaster, either natural or man-made, to serve the Citizens of Dobson and failure to serve when required may result in personnel action. Service to the Citizens during a disaster may result in the assignment of other duties, which will take precedence over duties described in this job.
How to Apply:
Please print and complete the employment application below and return, in-person, along with a resume, at Dobson Town Hall (307 N. Main Street, Dobson, NC 27017) Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm.